Evolution of a Logo

It's been 3 years since I launched ShowOffCards. I was also running rscottj.com which was a website design company which I rebranded to ShowOffStudios to build on the whole "show off" theme.

As with most start ups I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a logo design because A) I didn't know if the business would fly and B) my philosophy is to keep cost/overhead low to maximize profit. So I designed my own logo - a move that most experts will tell you is a bad idea. ("Experts" also said you can't sell business cards for $600 per 1000. Shows what they know)

As I thought about a new logo I wanted one logo that would work across the business card business AND the website design business. I wanted to develop an image/icon to represent "Show Off" and then use a text line to differentiate the two businesses - yet let people know they are from the same parent company.

As I kicked this around two things became apparent.
1) I couldn't come up with anything tha I liked to represent "show off"
2) I really like the simplicity of my current showoffcards logo

So, I ended up revamping the showoffcards logo by stylizing it a bit and by simplifying the font. Once I saw that, I started looking at the card shape and realized that if I rotated it 90 degrees and put smaller fingers on both sides it could be a computer monitor - perfect for a website design logo.

All in all I'm pretty pleased. Now I just need to implement the logos.
What do you think? (click for larger image)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great logo; great business in general. I was working with PayDotCom.com and that's how I found you. I hope to be contacting you for cards; am now entering into a new career and would love to be your first "voice over" "actor/artist" card/website owner! Love your Christmas card too. If I join up and buy from you, I'll want one next year Ha! Keep up the good work!